PETS (Pet Empowerment in Townships) strives to empower animals in townships and poor communities. We work with the community to improve the lives of these disadvantaged animals by giving them daily meals, warm shelters, regular inoculations, sterilisations and vet care in emergencies. We also rehome those ones that are unwanted, unloved or lost.
We try to instil in the communities, a responsibility and pride for their animals by not just empowering the animals, but also by educating and helping the people uplift themselves. We believe in working hand in hand with the animals and people of these impoverished areas to create unity, trust and stability for all.
OUR KEY PRINCIPLES AND POLICIES
- Non-Profit: We rely solely on public and corporate donations to cover the costs of our astronomical vet bills, feeding schemes, sterilisations projects and upkeep of our foster pets
- Pro-life: We only ever euthanase if it is in the animals best interests and there are no other options – we fight for each life.
- Pro-active: We do not sit around and wait for animals in need to come to us. Instead we spend every free minute we have (much to the distress of our families) in the townships LOOKING for the animals that need help.
- Sterilisation: Our main focus is sterilisation in townships. Since 2007, we have sterilised over 3000 animals.
- Foster Care: We believe in foster care because it enables the animal to become part of a loving and caring family immediately which enables it to feel safe, loved and nurtured. In these environments the animals flourish far quicker than they would have in a kennel situation. Our foster kids are introduced to other animals, cats, dogs and kiddies to try and make them well adapted to all. As most of our animals are rescue out of horrible conditions in townships, some do come with intense fear and uncertainty, and some take longer to ‘defrost’ than others, but we have had a 100% success rate thus far!
PETS is run by a group of members and volunteers that put every spare minute into helping animals. We are wholly indebted to all our wonderful foster families, volunteers and supporters; without their support only a small amount of what we do today would be possible. We work throughout the Western Cape, wherever help is needed and have supporters from all over South Africa.
PETS was founded by Anoux Massey in 2007.
Please note that we are an audited organisation and details of our financial audit can be obtained from info(at)pets.org.za
- Food / Feeding
- Vet Care (medication, de-worming, dipping, inoculations, tick & flee treatment, etc.)
- Emergencies (operations, stitches, blood tests, cancer treatment, euthanasia (only in extreme cases of pain or sickness), etc.)
- Provision of shelter
- Rescuing & rehoming
- Education of children & adults regarding pet-care
- Fundraising to facilitate all our activities
There is an extensive adoption form which needs to be filled in and approved by at least two members. We interview the people telephonically and in person when they come to meet the various animals. And we keep in contact for at least the first 6 months to make sure that all neccessary procedures are done.
R250 for dogs and puppies
R100 for kittens
R150 for cats
Puppies and kittens have their first innoculation with us. We can also sterilise the animal for people at 6 months for R330 (space permitting).
Anoux Massey – anoux(at)pets.org.za, 0768727071 (sms only – in emergency call)
Karyn Scriven – karyn(at)pets.org.za, 0720405484 (sms only)
Adoptions – adoptions(at)pets.org.za
Foster – foster(at)pets.org.za
Volunteers – volunteers(at)pet.org.za
Feral and Stray Cat Division – ferals(at)pet.org.za
PAD (Pets at Dassenberg) – pad(at)pets.org.za
Hall of Fame – halloffame(at)pets.org.za
Sales – sales(at)pets.org.za
Facebook – facebook(at)pets.org.za
Newsletter – newsletter(at)pets.org.za
Webmaster – webmaster(at)pets.org.za
KEEP THESE TELEPHONE NUMBERS ON YOUR CELL PHONE FOR EMERGENCY SITUATIONS
If you see a dog in distress call the AACL inspectorate emergency 24 hour hot-line on 073 404 2435.
Should you see a dead animal call the 24-hour hot-line on 021 957 4700 and they will arrange removal.
Account Name PETS
Bank Standard Bank
Branch Helderberg – 033012
Account Number 277408695
Account Type Savings
Swift Code SBZAZAJJOUR