Animal Welfare Society Stellenbosch is a non-profit organisation with the aim to serve the community of Stellenbosch and greater Stellenbosch by taking care of the community’s unwanted, mistreated and neglected pets. We also advocate and promote the sterilisation of cats and dogs to curb unwanted breeding in an already overpopulated pet community. We sterilise, dip, vaccinate, deworm and treat illnesses of animals in our indigent population.
The AWSS has many great animals looking for their forever homes. We aim to encourage responsible animal ownership and to ensure that the adoption of an animal from the AWSS shelter is a positive experience for the new owner, the adopted animal and the wider community.
The adoption procedure is as follows:
- You decide on a dog / cat either by following the links below or pop into our shelter to meet the animals available.
- Fill in an application form.
- Our inspector will visit your home to ensure your property is suitable for the animal concerned. We will take into account: Size of property, childrens ages, other animals in the family, level of the family’s activity (whether the dog will be exercised), how long a puppy will be left alone in the day, etc..
- The adoption fee is R 450 for dogs and R350 for cats, payable on collection of the animal which includes sterilisation, vaccination and de-worming as well as a collar with an ID tag.
- If walking through the kennels is too upsetting, you can make an appointment to view some of the dogs in our “meet & greet” camp. This will give you time to get to know each dog and make your decision.
Devon Valley Road
P.O. Box 90
Tel: 021 886 4901
Fax: 086 545 7083
Emergency Number: 071 169 9922
Monday to Friday: 09H00 – 16H00
Saturdays: 09H00 – 13H00
Closed to the public on Sundays and public holidays
Special arrangements can be made by appointment
Clinic Hours – Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays & Fridays – 09:00am – 12:00pm
Animal Welfare Society of Stellenbosch
Account No: 1498042856
Branch no: 149-821